Good Reads

The OSU School of Writing, Literature and Film’s Visiting Writers Series, a series which brings nationally and internationally recognized authors to OSU, will be featuring Namwali Serpell. Serpell will visit OSU on Thursday, Jan. 9. 

Kate Brown

Lets face it, now that winter is in full swing there is not much to do outside. Reading is a great option to pass the time while stay dry indoors. Here is a compiled list of some book recommendations from your fellow beavers!

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

“I enjoyed this book because it was a true story and I had been to some of the places that the main character went to, so it was easy for me to imagine.”

Quinn Smesrud, Freshman Civil Engineering student

Presence by Amy Cuddy

“I like this book because it has a message that is very applicable to me in my life position right now and it helps me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It’s from the perspective of a strong woman, so I feel that I can trust it and will like the result of the advice if I follow it.”

Lily Beck, Sophomore Marketing Student

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

“It’s one of the first books that addresses a police shooting from the core and therefore how ‘eye-opening’ it was. Highly recommend!”

Catherine Romanaggi, Freshman Interior Design student

How We Light by Nick Sturm

“I enjoyed this book because I thought Sturm’s ability to capture nuanced feelings through just a few quick, surreal images was really neat. I haven’t read a lot of poetry in my life, and this book was a neat entry-point into the genre because it wasn’t like any poetry I had read before. I’d recommend it for anyone who thinks they don’t enjoy poetry–and especially for anyone who likes surrealism.”

Chessie Alberti, GTA for the School of Writing, Film, and Literature

The Stranger by Albert Camus

“I never really enjoyed reading, but I loved the way he told the story. Additionally, the views expressed in it were super interesting.” -Jay Raitt, Sophomore Mechanical Engineering student  views expressed in it were super interesting.”

Jay Raitt, Sophomore Mechanical Engineering student

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, & Jack Horne

“This book is a real page turner. I read it all in one sitting. It really brought me back to my childhood and reminded me of when I read the books as a kid.”

Alex Larson, Freshman Biology Student

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

“I like this series because it’s a great blend of humor, adventure, fantasy, and satirical takes on our own world. The characters are very well developed and the plot draws you in.”

Luke Taylor, Senior Natural Resources student

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and The Martian by Andy Weir

“These books are really fun. They’re like you’re taking a break from reality, and we all need that sometimes.”

Jeremiah Everett, Junior Bio-Health, Pre-Physical Therapy student

Photography by Aga Putra (via unsplash.com)