Need a Ride?

Just recently, many might have noticed a small addition around campus. Here’s a hint: Two wheels, one rider and requires a lock. If you guessed a bike, then you guessed right!

Around campus a system of bikes and stations have been installed from the company Zagster. Zagster is a company that offers a sustainable and easy way to get where you need to go on campus or in a city. If you’ve ever heard of Zipcar, it is a similar dynamic using smaller distances.

Utilizing these stations is easy. First, download their app from your phone’s respective store and open it. Next, join the Pedal Corvallis bike share. It will then pull up a map with all of the stations near you. Choose the closest one and input the individual bike number. Once this step is completed, the bike number you entered will unlock the respective bike from the station. The app then times your ride and will charge you accordingly to how long you’ve been in possession of the bike.

Alternatively, you can also opt to purchase one of three passes for Corvallis: 3 day ($5), a month ($10), or annual ($25). Also note that with the purchase of a pass, any ride under 2 hours are free and any rides over 2 hours are $3 per additional hour.

Each bike comes with a bluetooth lock that you can use directly from your phone on any bike rack. Finally, when you’re finished, park the bike back at any Zagster station and lock it. Press end ride on the app and you’re all set.

If you don’t have a smartphone, Zagster offers a phone number that you can text to get set up a different way that is tailored towards your own situation. That number is (202) 999-3924.

As stated on the Oregon Cascades West Council of Governments website, bikeshare stations are all located within two blocks of a Corvallis Transit stop or closer, and can be found at the following locations:

•       Benton County Health Department, 530 NW 27th Street

•       Downtown Transit Center, 5th Street and Monroe Avenue

•       Lincoln Health Center, 121 SE Viewmont Avenue

•       Oregon State Credit Union, 1980 NW 9th Street

•       Osborn Aquatic Center, 1940 NW Highland Drive

•       OSU’s Kerr Administration Building, 1500 SW Jefferson Avenue

•       OSU’s Weniger Hall, 103 SW Memorial Place (facing Monroe Avenue on the building’s north side)

•       SamFit / Samaritan Square, 777 NW 9th Street #310

So, if you’ve been unfortunate enough to get classes that are on two separate ends of campus with no other out then to walk, this might be your new solution. Be sure to check out the stations for a fast and fun way to get around Corvallis!

Photography by Andrew Gook (via unsplash.com)