OSU | The Real Flagship

Brittni Cooper

Credit is not always given where it is due. Neighboring the state’s other major university, this occurs often here on campus. Here are just a few of the many reasons why Oregon State is the real flagship university. 

Student Population

This fall term alone, there are 7,650 new students attending OSU, the largest university in the state of Oregon. In 2014, OSU passed the benchmark of 30,000 registered students and the number continues to grow. In order to keep up with this population and continuous campus growth, many new buildings are being renovated and constructed around OSU. Recently state of the art buildings, such as Austin Hall, the Student Experience Center, the Learning Innovation Center, Johnson Hall, and the new OSU-Cascades campus were opened to students. Construction on the new Oregon Forest Science Complex is also now underway. Pretty impressive, right? Don’t worry there’s still more.

Research Funding

It is no secret that here on campus, some pretty awesome stuff is happening. Research funding allows OSU to support student endeavors and research into many different fields. Last school year, $336 million was brought into OSU in research funding, which was a nine percent increase from the year prior. This number is almost as much research funding as all other Oregon public universities receive combined. Did we mention that OSU is also only one of two universities in the nation to be a land-grant, sea-grant, space-grant, AND sun-grant institution?

Best College Town in the Pac-12

There are many aspects of Corvallis that led to it being named the Best College Town in the Pac-12. From the beautiful scenery, to the wonderful fans that flood game day events, it is no surprise that the town ranked in at number one. Outside of the Corvallis honors, ValueColleges.com has named OSU’s distance education program the best online college in terms of value. There are so many things to be proud of here at OSU. Do your part in keeping Corvallis and Oregon State University amazing. As always, #GoBeavs!

Photography by Reyn Ignacio