Staying in Corvallis this spring break? Bring spring break to you!

El Guo

A photo illustration depicts two students, Sara Jaffe (left; she/her) and Kylie Andrews (she/her) hiking up Chip Ross Park trail on Feb. 26. Hiking is a free way to have fun with friends!

Hannah Lull, News Contributor

This year, Oregon State University’s spring break is from March 25 to April 2. Even if you’re staying in Corvallis, relieving some stress and rejuvenating yourself for the upcoming spring term might be good. Believe it or not, there are plenty of fun activities to do in our small college town. Whether that’s staying in with friends or spending time outside, allowing yourself to relax and try new hobbies might be beneficial after a long winter term. 

Here’s a template you may wish to follow while planning out your spring break activities:

Saturday: On Saturday, March 25, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is holding a free, open to the public, field day to educate about wildlife with hands-on activities. This year, the theme is “Water: the Life in Wildlife.” Some Field Station Events may include owl pellet dissection, live bird sessions, nature walks, science experiments, pond studies and community service dragonfly research. Each participant gets a 2023 event sticker and activity kit upon arrival. 

This field day will be at the Village Green Park (980 NE Conifer Blvd Corvallis, Ore. 97330)  from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and participants are able to just drop in and stay as little or as much time as they’d like. There are other field days offered throughout March and are available on their website

Sunday: On Sunday, March 26, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is offering a Nature Exploration Walk at Owens Farm from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., for community members to step foot into nature through an easy stroll of 1.5 miles through the farm. This gives a chance for participants to see wildflowers, birds, animals, plants and a rough-skinned newt, which is this year’s mascot for the Winter Wildlife Field Days 2023. Greenbelt Land Trust and Neighborhood Naturalist will attend to guide the group. Participants must register online beforehand at the Greenbelt Land Trust website

Monday: Take it easy on Monday, March 27, perhaps by staying in with some friends or family and doing arts and crafts or playing some board games. Painting inside or on your porch can be a relaxing way to use your creative mind and hang out with like-minded people. You can buy supplies at Michaels or Joann Fabric and Crafts located in Corvallis. To go a cheaper route, you can pick up some paper and paints at Dollar Tree as well. Put on your favorite music and paint away the stress of the last term!

Tuesday: On Tuesday, March 28, go outside and visit Mary’s Peak! Mary’s Peak is a local hotspot for students to visit when they want to see a nice sunset or hike around the mountain range. It’s the highest peak in the Oregon Coast Range, located southwest of Philomath. Perhaps you can bring some friends with you and have a picnic while taking in the view. 

Wednesday: Want to be outside and listen to some live music from local artists? Throughout the year, every Wednesday and Thursday, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Common Fields seat first-come, first-serve diners that want to listen to live performers during their dinner. Common Fields is located at 545 SW 3rd St. Corvallis, Ore. 97333. Common Fields is described as a food truck pond and taproom, where people can try new food from various food trucks and can pair it with independent beer, wine and cider from the taproom.  

On March 29, the Linx Family Band will perform that Wednesday night. On Thursday night, Rocket Surgery will perform. There are also heated seats, fire tables and above-table heaters to keep you warm as you’re entertained. 

Thursday: Go to the Study Legacy Park or surrounding intramural fields on campus and play some outdoor games with friends! Sports equipment, such as soccer balls or a football can be rented through the Dixon Recreation Center on campus. Spend the day in the sun with your student community, but make sure to return your rentals after you’re done! 

Friday: On Friday, March 31 the Justice Theater is presenting a play at 7:30 p.m., “The Blaming of the Shrew,” based on William Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.” It’s roughly a 90-minute production and donation based on a “pay-what-you-can” event. 

The play is about a man, Christopher Sly, who rents a DVD of “The Taming of the Shrew” to watch with his wife at home. His wife is inspired by the play and starts to act like Katharina, a shrew that no man seems to want to marry. Katharina’s mother, Baptista, will not let any of her other children marry until Katharina does, as she’s the eldest. A young man named Petruchio is up to the challenge and claims he will transform Katharina into a “perfect wife.” 

The play is located in the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Corvallis at 2945 NW Circle Blvd, Corvallis, Ore. 97333 at the Justice Theater.

Saturday: On Saturday, April 1 the Corvallis Indoor Winter Market is held that morning from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., where people can buy fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and other foods. There are also vendors selling art, handcrafted jewelry or other crafted specialties. The winter market is located at the Benton County Fairgrounds in Guerber Hall at 110 SW 53rd St. Corvallis, Ore. 97330. 

Sunday: On Sunday, April 2, The Majestic Theatre is hosting a venue for an indie-folk music group, Shook Twins. The band was started in 2004 by two identical twin sisters, Katelyn and Laurie Shook. The performance starts at 7:30 p.m. and is $25 for students and seniors and $28 for adults. Guest starring is a folk-rock band, Jessie Thoreson & The Crown Fire. Students can buy their tickets online