Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

Student on the street: How much PDA is too much?

When it comes to public displays of affection, students at Oregon State University tend to feel the same way: Don’t be weird.

Victoria Gavlik, Animal Science Major

“Basic PDA is fine, like hand-holding or hugging,” said Victoria Gavlik, animal sciences major. “But I feel like if you’re just making out in public that crosses the line.”

Gavlik added that it’s uncomfortable to walk by people making out.

“It’s just kind of weird to walk by and see,” Gavlik said.

“It depends where you are,” said Sarah Swann, a wildlife science major. “If you’re in a secluded area or if you’re on a beach or something, that’s different to if you’re just sitting in a park in front of like a hundred people.” 

Swann said that general kinds of PDA, like hand-holding or hugging, is fine. The issue is when a couple is making the people around them uncomfortable.

Brandon Martin, International Business Major (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“I don’t really mind it,” said Brandon Martin, an international business major. “As long as you’re not, like making out while I’m trying to study, I could really care less honestly. It’s not that big of an issue. I’ve got other things to focus on here.”

Martin said that he and his girlfriend have talked about what kinds of PDA they’re comfortable engaging in. 

“We know it depends on the setting,” Martin said. “You just have to be courteous of other people.”

Remson Winant, Finance Major (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“I don’t really care, just as long as it’s not too loud or too obnoxious,” said Remson Winant, finance major. “But like making out and stuff, that’s private.”

Winant said he’s also talked about it with his ex-girlfriend. 

“We just said we don’t want to do anything more than hand-holding,” Winant said.

Charlene Perez, Wildlife Sciences Major (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“I don’t care, honestly,” said Charlene Perez, a masters student in wildlife science. “As long as it’s not in your face or in a disrespectful way.”

Perez said that she is from Puerto Rico, and that the different culture may have an impact on how she views PDA. 

“I think it’s okay to hold hands, hug, kiss, but privacy is better,” Perez said.