Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

Seniors share their tips on surviving OSU

Senior Josh Walund gives his thoughts and tips to underclassmen on how to get through college on April 12, 2024 in the Linc on the OSU campus
Maya Kirschenbaum

Through the trenches of all-nighters, crazy weekends and caffeine-fueled days,spring term marks the end of the final school year for many Oregon State University students.

They’ve lived through it and now, as they wave their final goodbyes before entering a new stage of life, graduating seniors share lessons and tips they learned here at OSU.

1. Letting go of expectations

As each school year begins, it is nearly impossible not to anticipate and daydream about the possible memories and college experiences, both positive and negative.

Senior Tahnbee Chang talks about her tips for undergrad students in the Memorial Union on April 16, 2024 (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“Don’t have certain expectations, or don’t set rules for yourself if that makes sense,” said Tahnbee Chang, a senior bio-health sciences major with a chemistry minor.

1. Buckling down on academics

Going into college students are met with a long list of courses and requirements to complete their degrees, which can create pressure around academic success.

Students have control of their schedule and can decide the pace and difficulty in which they take classes.

“Don’t worry about the BACC core too much, because you can do that senior year,” said Jack Stevenson, a senior in computer science.

Jack Stevenson discusses his tips on getting through college in the Memorial Union on campus on April 12, 2024 (Maya Kirschenbaum)

The difference between staying ahead in school or falling behind may be as simple as “learning from your mistakes, going over exam questions, going to office hours and reaching out for support,” Chang said.

And don’t forget to take time to explore different places to find your ideal studying atmosphere as Tyler Greenwood, a senior in computer science, said.

“I have to get the right environment to work in,” Greenwood said. “I don’t work as well at my own house so coming to the library has been way more helpful.”

1. Finding social connections

Being an academic weapon and getting good grades is not all there is to the university experience. 

Derek Williams, a senior in computer science said it’s good to find a balance between social life and school work. 

Senior, Derek Williams talks about his tips to undergrads in the Memorial Union on April 12, 2024 (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“You don’t want to go too far in any direction, like sacrificing school is not a good idea,” Williams said. “It’s important to have a social aspect.” 

Life here at OSU offers many ways to meet new people, from as simple as having a class, to being dorm neighbors, to performing at the same event.

“It’s good to have a good support network,” said Josh Walund, a senior majoring music department.

Most seniors agreed that having strong social connections and social outlets allows you to explore interests whether they’re academic or not. 

“I would say my favorite memories would be making the connections here,” Chang said. 

It can take a lot of work to naturally come across people to vibe with. Another way to get connected and meet new people is to check out the wide variety of clubs at OSU.

“Academic-related clubs are a really good way to meet people in your major,”  Williams said.

Nurturing a social life can look different for everyone. 

Sometimes it can be as simple as working out to help relieve some of the pressure and tension that school may cause.  

“It can just be doing things that aren’t academically related,” Greenwood said. “I like going out to do social things, but even just going to the gym by myself helps, there’s a lot of great stuff in Corvallis.” 

At such a large university there are many opportunities to connect and meet new people.    

“There’s a lot of different people from all walks of life and you meet a lot of interesting people that are a little out of your normal bubble,” Stenevson said. “That was something that I appreciated a lot over the past few years. I think you learn a lot about yourself and other people, being in a larger environment.”

1. Dealing with imposter syndrome

With a continual cycle of stressing to pass a class that follows each term, imposter syndrome can offer a real shake of confidence.

“People should just know that everyone has (imposter syndrome) and it is a normal thing,” Williams said. “Don’t ever let that put you back.”

Setbacks are just as inevitable as instances of success but ultimately lead to learning. 

“It’s college,” Greenwood said. “You get to do stupid things and have fun doing it.”