Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

OSU students share their quirky and random playlist titles

Senior Natalie Goldsmith searches for her favorite playlists outside of the Memorial Union on May 13, 2024.
Taylor Cockrell

Whether walking around campus, studying or going to the gym, for college students almost every task in the day is accompanied by music.

For some, a single playlist or “liked songs” is enough to get them through the day. For others, quirky and unconventional playlists are assembled to match the vibe of every occasion.

Peeking under the hood at playlists made by Oregon State University students, here are some unique and funny playlist titles that live rent-free here at OSU.

Drunk, Irish and ready to die 

Freshman in forest engineering, Sam Johnson, listens to this playlist for any moment of the day.

“It’s an everyday playlist of walking to classes and doing homework when I don’t need to be too focused,” Johnson said.

Strapped with a title that may begin to resonate with some students as we near the end of the term, or the start of the weekend, this playlist gives a “that’s so real” moment. 

“It’s a lot of just like heavy vibe music, I don’t know how to describe it, it’s everyday music,” Johnson said. 

First-year Sam Johnson discusses her fun playlist title by Weatherford Hall on May 14, 2024.
(Taylor Cockrell)

Welcome to the cult 

Another playlist from Johnson, “Welcome to the cult” is their go-to heavy rock playlist.

“If I want to try and get a friend (into rock), it’s like my favorite heavy rock songs that I would share with them,” Johnson said.

Johnson shared that the times they usually listen to this playlist are to workout or exercise.

“Or if like I’m in just a headspace where I just need to have something loud blaring,” Johnson said. 

Songs to strut to 

Natalie Goldsmith, a senior in bio-health science keeps it fresh and makes each day pop with songs from the newly released film“ Challengers”.

The popular film follows the interlinked and steamy lives of tennis players Tashi (Zendaya), Art (Mike Faist), and Patrick (Josh O’Connor).

Each tennis scene in the movie features bumping synth, house and techno music that intensifies the tennis match unfolding. 

“That’s my walking playlist,” Goldsmith said.

For Goldsmith, even walking to class can slay as much as Zendaya does watching her ‘film boyfriends’ break a sweat and play tennis over her.

Disney songs that slap harder than your mom

The irony in the title is that the familial and child-friendly Disney, which many students have nostalgic ties with, is slapping harder than your mom.

Kaitlynn Conzoner, a freshman majoring in psychology listens to this playlist whenever she wants to listen to Disney music.

What makes things more interesting is that she considers her other playlist titles to be relatively tame.

“The only playlist I have that has a little bit of a pocket title is: Disney songs that slap harder than your mom,” Conzoner said. 

Unhealthy scream time 

Why beat around the bush when you can scream at it instead?

A junior in liberal studies, Emilia Price’s playlist “unhealthy scream time” is purely to take a deep breath and unleash the fury.

This is not to be confused with Price’s other angry playlist which is mostly used for workout runs and appropriately titled, “rage run”.

The vibes of “unhealthy scream time” are tough, wild and loud, like rage run, but bring different types of energies.

“They don’t have as much of a beat that I would run to,” Price said. “They’re kind of just scream vibes.” 

Many college students know the essentiality of having a moment to let out inner demons and frustrations, especially as things ramp up throughout the term.

Third-year Emilia Price discusses her craziest playlist names at the Memorial Union on May 13, 2024. (Taylor Cockrell)

That Spring I refuse to move on

Sometimes playlists have lore, a type of emotional backstory tied to them.  

For microbiology graduate student Pear Instasin, “that Spring I refuse to move on” comes with the memories of an unexpected romance that, given unfortunate timing, meant it could not last.

“I think it was a spring fling back in undergrad,” Instasin said. “My friends and I were like, we’re graduating, but you know, that guy.”

Looking back now, the playlist serves as a memento of the rush of love that can accompany spring.

“It’s a cute moment,” Instasin said.

Graduate student Pear Intasin discusses a playlist she made for the spring outside of the Memorial Union on May 13, 2024. (Taylor Cockrell)

Pitbull for my sadness 

For some people, playlists are curated to help through tough times, either being built around songs that’ll for sure make you cry it out, or comfort songs that make you feel better.

A freshman in environmental engineering, Ashleigh Wojcik shared her playlist that always lifts her energy with songs solely by Mr. Worldwide.

“It’s just Pitbull… for my sadness,” Wojcik said.

For Wojcik, this playlist is a good reminder that “everyone has been through tough times, but everyday above ground is a great day,” just like Mr. 305 said.

First-year Ashleigh Wojcik discusses her craziest playlist names at Fairbanks Hall on May 14, 2024.
(Taylor Cockrell)