Accessible places to clear your head

Accessible Places Cover

Alex Larson

As we get further into the term, the workload starts to pile up. Balancing 12 or more credits, plus extra curricular activities, jobs and social life can really take a toll, especially in the thick of midterms season. It is important to take a step back and find a place to just relax. This could mean a nice walk outside, a sweat-inducing workout, a place to sit and digest all that’s going on in your head. If you need to find somewhere to just be, then consider one of these on or off campus options.

On Campus

1. Dixon Recreation Center

Dixon Recreation Center boasts many courts, an indoor track, weight rooms, an eight lane lap pool and a hot tub, cardio rooms, multipurpose rooms and a climbing center. For those who need to run, or swim, a few laps in between study sessions, or need to ‘lift’ the stress off your shoulders, Dixon is the perfect place to clear your head and get a boost of energy. The best part, of course, is that it’s free to OSU students and staff.

1. Counseling & Psychological Services

If everything is getting to be a bit much for you, or you feel like you need to talk about what’s on your mind, Counseling and Psychological Services may be just what you need. They provide individual, couples, and group counseling, host workshops and offer a mind spa, complete with a full body massage chair, therapy light, and guided meditation software to help clear your head. New client consultations and crisis walk-ins are available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

1. One of the Seven Cultural Centers

For those of us who just want somewhere new to chill out and maybe do some homework, there are seven different cultural centers on campus that encourage students to come and hang out. There is the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center, Asian and Pacific Cultural Center, Ettihad Cultural Center, Native American Longhouse Eena Haws, Pride Center, Centro Cultural CĂ©sar ChĂ¡vez and the Women’s Center. The cultural centers are located all around campus, and allow anyone to come in, hang out, and learn more about what the center is about.

1. MU Quad

On a sunny day, students can be found relaxing out on the MU Quad catching rays, reading a book, eating lunch, or just sitting with some friends. The Quad is a great place to unwind and do some people watching or just let your mind wander.

1. Intramural (IM) Fields

If you want to toss around a frisbee or play a quick game of soccer with some friends, the IM fields are a great way to get your heart rate up and have some fun. Cardiorespiratory exercise is a great way to restart your brain after a day of classes, and doing it with some friends is a great way to get some time outside, break a sweat, and make memories with friends. If you’re in need of equipment, anyone with an OSU ID card can rent from Dixon Rec Center, located right across the street.

Off Campus

1. Jackson Frazier Wetland

Jackson Frazier Wetland is a great nature walk for novice hikers and walkers. Its a 20 minute walk filled with fall foliage and crisp, clear air. It’s fairly quiet, and about a ten minute drive from campus. There are a few benches to stop and take in your surroundings, or snap some photos for Instagram. Jackson Frazier is the perfect place for people who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of campus, and take some time away from the computer screen and see some nature.

1. Rose Garden in Avery Park

The Rose Garden in Avery Park is another great place to see some nature and clear your mind. It’s about a five minute drive from campus, and contains over 250 varieties of roses, with arbors, benches, art and many paved and soft surface trails throughout. It is said that the Rose Garden is best in the spring, and is a nice quiet alternative to the Portland Rose Garden.

1. The Arts Center

The Arts Center is a 15 minute walk from campus, and hosts art classes, workshops and open studios. This is the perfect place to unwind if you have an affinity for the arts, or just want to browse one of the exhibitions, or the art shop. The Arts Center has been in Corvallis for over 55 years, and it promotes using art as self care, and a way to improve the community.

1. Coffee Culture

Coffee Culture has four locations in Corvallis, offering sustainably sourced coffee. It’s a great option for those who want to get out of the dorms and maybe do some homework, some light reading, or catch up with a friend. It is also the perfect place to snap a trendy picture of your latte, if your feed needs some fall vibes.