A Sober Shasta

A Sober Shasta

Maddie Bradshaw

Annually, the spring Shasta weekend at Oregon State is an event that many students look forward to. Every spring term, some OSU students select a few days in May and rent houseboats on Lake Shasta for the weekend with their friends.

Shasta is a memorable time for many. It is a long standing tradition at Oregon State where students can get away from Corvallis and enjoy the sun. As much fun as it sounds, this particular weekend can be dangerous. Some students tend to drink a lot of alcohol, and the hot weather and limited resources can sometimes lead to poor choices.

Shasta weekend does not have to be all about the partying. Oregon State sophomore Parker Snook experienced Shasta last year as a freshman without a drop of alcohol. “It was one of the best experiences of freshman year. It was awesome just hanging out with all of your friends on a houseboat for a weekend,” Snook said.

Snook did not drink alcohol as a freshman and he made the decision to have a sober Shasta, and still had a great time. There can be a negative stigma that students have to drink alcohol while at Shasta to have fun, but that is not the case. “I don’t regret going. It was an awesome experience”, Snook expressed.

The weekend at Shasta can be one of the best memories college students have as long as they practice safe fun. Snook, like many other students, believes that one doesn’t need alcohol to have a great time. Especially when there are house boats and water involved, it’s important to be careful and always be aware of one’s surroundings. The best thing that students can do in preparation for Shasta weekend is to be educated. “I think it is important to have people who are sober there so that they are able to handle any situations that may arise and safely drive the boats, but that goes for any large event like that,” Snook said. Shasta happens every year and whether or not students choose to attend, it’s important to remember that you don’t need alcohol to have a good weekend.