Five activities to do near the OSU-Cascades campus

Tarsa Weikert, Beaver's Digest Contributor

Take a day off from your obligations and visit one of the many fun activities around the Bend, Ore. area.

Several people in go karts maneuver through the course as the speed by.
Racers speeding by at the K1 Speed indoor go karts in Bend, Ore. (By Hayden Holgerson, OMN Photographer)

1. K1 Speed

Experience the thrill of the K1 Speed go-kart track located 11 minutes away from the OSU-Cascades campus. Go-karts can provide a perfect way to entertain the family or host a fun date to treat your partner to. Learn how to navigate a fast powered electric go-kart which is perfect for all skill levels. The karts available for adults can reach up to 40 mph. Racers are sure to have an exhilarating time at K1 Speed.

A group of friends sit down for lunch as another group wraps up their meal and leaves.
Inside of The Blacksmith Restaurant in Bend, Ore. (By Hayden Holgerson, OMN Photographer)

2. The Blacksmith Restaurant

A nice warm meal is a must in Bend. The Blacksmith Restaurant is a trendy steak house located in downtown Bend. The dishes at the restaurant are delicious and aesthetically pleasing. Reservations are recommended for those looking to fulfill their appetites. Enjoy this steakhouse, bar and lounge trifecta with quality company.

People hang out around the water—some fishing, some rafting, and other bike on the bike bath along the Deschutes River.
Overlooking the Deschutes River at Bend White Water Park in Bend, Ore. (By Hayden Holgerson, OMN Photographer)

3. Bend White Water Park

Spend a pleasant spring day at Bend White Water Park. The park is located half a mile from the OSU-Cascades campus. The park has a short 15-minute walk and students can experience the nurturing side of nature. At Bend White Water Park individuals can soak in the sun, kayak and tube depending on weather conditions. Enjoy the sun or spend the day learning about animal habitats. The park offers something for everyone to enjoy.

The art gallery displays landscape paintings, a vase, statues and sculptures.
Looking at the beautiful artwork inside of Peterson Contemporary Art in downtown Bend, Ore. (By Hayden Holgerson, OMN Photographer)

4. Peterson Contemporary Art

A great way to experience the local culture in Bend is by checking out the art scene. Petersons Contemporary Art gallery represents up to 32 local artists and other artists who live in the U.S, Japan and Italy. This destination provides the perfect multi-medium experience and engages with local and global art. Petersons Contemporary Art is located five minutes away from OSU-Cascades campus.

Inside the cave, light shines through the hole in the ceiling where stairs lead out of Boyd Caves.
Inside of the entrance to the Boyd Cave in Bend, Ore. (By Hayden Holgerson, OMN Photographer)

5. Boyd Cave

Explore a lava tube with your friends this spring. Boyd Cave is one of many natural lava tubes around Bend. The hiking trail to the cave is only 0.8 miles long. Boyd Cave is only a 25-minute drive from the Oregon State University-Cascades campus. Make sure to bring headlamps and a jacket as you descend into the cave. I invite you to test your fear of the dark by turning off your lights in a safe spot once inside of the cave.