Asian Pacific American Student Union to host 22nd annual Culture Shock event

APASU hopes to ‘carry the traditions of Culture Shock from the past, and inspire our students, audience and community’

Event poster courtesy of APASU

This year’s Culture Shock event, hosted by Oregon State University’s Asian Pacific American Student Union club, is going to be held on Sunday, May 22 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union Ballroom.

Agrizha Puspita Sari, Beaver's Digest Contributor

Food will be served before the event at 5 p.m. in the Student Experience Center Plaza.

“We would certainly promote and urge those who may have heard or seen APASU Culture Shock in the past to come to this year’s event,” said Joy Drescher, co-president and current officer of the APASU club. “This year is especially important since it’s the first in-person Culture Shock we have had in two years. We hope to continue to carry the traditions of Culture Shock from the past and inspire our students, audience and community with our event.”

According to Angel Le, a junior adviser and current APASU officer, the historical elements and story that led up to the APASU Culture Shock event are that, historically, people just wanted to feel represented on campus. APASU intended to give Asian and Pacific Islander students a venue to exhibit their culture and talents.

“The first APASU Culture Shock was called ‘Multicultural Talent Show’ and was held on May 27, 1999 as the closing event for [Asian Pacific American Heritage Month] held in the MU Lounge,” Drescher said. “This name changed to ‘Culture Shock’ on May 12, 2000, which was held in the MU Ballroom. Since then, it has continued to be held in the MU Ballroom and this year will be our 22nd year of APASU Culture Shock.”

There will be a major entertainment factor at the event, featuring an impressive lineup of performers. The APASU Culture Shock event will be “showcasing talents and representations of the [Asian American and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander] community through performances, fun skits, a fashion show, an art gallery and food!” according to the APASU Instagram.

“You get to watch a wide variety of performances from individuals and groups in the [Asian Pacific Islander Desi American] community that you would not be able to see all together in one night otherwise,” said Amélie Bernhard, the co-president and current officer of APASU. “It’s a really special experience where attendees and performers can learn from and interact with each other. You also get to sample dishes from a variety of cultures and see different traditional/modern clothing in our fashion show. In addition to performances, food and fashion shows, there will also be an art gallery showcasing amazing artwork from individuals in the community.”

Drescher emphasized why the APASU Culture Shock event is so essential for Asian American and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander students at OSU saying that it is a chance to promote and motivate APIDA members and individuals to be proud of their culture and heritage.

“The goal of this event is to showcase talents from groups and individuals within the APIDA community,” Drescher said. “We hope that providing this opportunity will bring more awareness to the diverse APIDA cultures we have here in the OSU community.”

For disability-related accommodations, contact our public relations officer Alexis Nguyen at [email protected].