The OSUsed Store: A different kind of thrifting experience

BD Go Beavs Image

Lexi Johnson

We all like saving money, but how does saving money and the planet at the same time sound? That’s quite a deal. At the OSUsed store, you can browse through used merchandise from desks and chairs, laptops and office supplies, to sporting goods and bikes. Most of the merchandise that is received comes from the university once it is no longer needed, or from other public entities.

Located in the Property Services Building off of 13th street, OSUsed is a nonprofit organization that adheres to a sustainability mission of “reduce, reuse, and recycle.” Materials Manager, Rae DeLay is passionate about reducing waste and giving back to the community. “We are preventing [the waste] from going into the landfill and giving these items another chance at second-use,” she said. From their sales, they are also able to give back to the university. “Last year we gave back $750,000 to the university and its agencies,” DeLay said.  

OSUsed relies on the community in part because it is how they help provide funds for the organization to run. Student Materials Manager and OSU soccer athlete, Nikkye Depoint also enjoys the store’s environmental focus. “We rely on people to recycle things like bottles and paper. All of that stuff getting recycled helps the earth,” DePoint said.

When can I come browse and what can I expect?

The store holds public sales twice a week: Tuesdays from 5:30-7:30 p.m. and Fridays from 12:00-3:00 p.m. Vince Cataldi, a bioengineering student, has visited the store on more than one occasion. “I really like that there’s a lot of random things to always look through, like random scientific gear and electronics,” Cataldi said. The warehouse in which the sales are held is separated into sections depending on what you are looking for. There are books, dishes, computers and laptops, scientific beakers, electronic equipment, assorted furniture and more.      

Upcoming events and sales

While they do not generally accept donations from the public, the store holds a donation drive during their Move Out event. This year it will take place the week of June 10th-21st, and provides an opportunity for students who are moving out of the residence halls on campus to recycle and donate as much as possible to reduce waste. Last year during the Move Out, the store managed to receive six tons of goods, which exceeded their original goal of 30,000 pounds. That’s six tons of stuff that managed to escape the landfills. “This gives students the opportunity to dispose of their things in a productive manner, rather than just throwing them away in the garbage can,” Delay said. They welcome volunteers for this event as well.  

The store also holds Repair Fairs, which is sponsored by the student-led team Waste Watchers, where the public can bring in their broken items and have volunteers teach you how to repair them yourself. Anything from lamps, computers, bikes, clothing and more is welcome to be brought in to be fixed. Rather than becoming a consumer, you can become a fixer. The best part? It’s completely free. The next Repair Fair will take place May 15th from 5:30-7:30 p.m.   

For more information

If you are curious about other upcoming events and sales, you can visit the OSUsed website: surplus.oregonstate.edu/surplus.

They also have an Ebay site where the store can ship items to you: ebay.com/str/osusurplusinventory