How to be “All By Myself” on Valentine’s Day

Eva Brattain

One step into Fred Meyer’s and you already regret it. Chocolates and hearts run up and down the aisles, reminding you how single you are. For some, Valentine’s Day is what nightmares are made of, whereas others see it as an opportunity to spread love to the people they care about. No matter which type of person you are on Valentine’s Day, you don’t have to sit in bed and cry all day to Celine Dion’s “All By Myself”.

Rather than dreaming about future Valentine’s Days with a significant other, make this day all about your own well-being. If for you that means crying and watching The Notebook, then proudly do so. For those who want to spend their day doing something else, here are a few ideas of some activities that can get your mind off of the negative aspects of this holiday.

Have a self-care day!

Who said Valentine’s Day has to be about loving someone else? Take time to treat yourself to your favorite meal at a restaurant or if you’re on campus, treat yourself to your favorite food in the dining halls. Throw on a face mask, listen to your favorite playlist and buy yourself that candy bar you’ve been craving all week.

Celebrate Galentine’s Day with your friends:

Watch a favorite rom-com, devour heaps of chocolate, buy each other flowers, or buy matching fuzzy socks. Pamper yourselves and celebrate this holiday with the friends you love!

Make a list of the people and things in your life that make you happy:

You’ve made it this far in life and there must be something in your life that you genuinely like. Maybe it’s that one song that never fails to make you smile, or maybe it’s your best friend. Maybe it’s the way the sun hides behind the clouds and paints the sky at the end of the day or the smell of rain. List out those things that make your heart happy.

Go to some events on campus:

Put all your Pinterest-worthy ideas into action at the “Valentine’s Cardmaking” event at 10 a.m. in the Memorial Union Lounge. The event is free for OSU students. Sign up for more Valentine’s crafts in room 274 of Austin Hall at 6 p.m. for the “Galentine’s Day Fun” event thrown by the Women in Leadership club. If you’d prefer painting, you can buy tickets for the OSU Craft Center’s “Valentine’s Day Paint Night” on the OSU events calendar. The paint night starts at 7 p.m. on Valentine’s Day.

One first-year student at OSU shares her plan to make this day as special as possible.

“I use Valentine’s day as a day to love myself. I take myself shopping, I use all the deals at Victoria’s Secret, I buy myself chocolate and I fill my room with flowers,” Jo Carstensen states. “I just have a good day and wear a super cute outfit so I feel confident all day. People let a day destroy them because they’re not dating someone and that shouldn’t determine if we’re happy or not.”

If you really don’t want to do anything celebratory on the day of love, you can always participate in some anti-Valentine’s Day activities. Make a list of 10 things you hate about Valentine’s Day. Throw an anti-Valentine party that bans all things heart-shaped or anything red.

Whether or not you appreciate Valentine’s Day, there are so many things you can do to celebrate the day of love. Dedicate your day to loving yourself and the people you surround yourself with.