Art in Corvallis

Lauren Miller

Many people have an artistic side. If you don’t have an art class this term and are itching to do something creative, an arts major wanting off-campus activities or just want to look around Corvallis, there are plenty of places to explore.

There are lots of galleries located in downtown Corvallis. The “Corvallis Arts Walk,” hosted the third Thursday of every month, is a great way to participate in these events. All studios participating in the event stay after-hours to mingle and connect with the art community. The walk is free for everyone and the next will be on Nov. 15.

“The Arts Center” is a non-profit gallery located right off campus on SW Madison Ave. The Arts Center has activities for students to participate in all year-round and hosts a wide variety of galleries. They host eight major shows each year and have a Focus Gallery with new artists every month.

“The Arts Center” is open from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. If you are looking for an art-related activity, they have a wide array of activities to participate in. There are ceramics and 2D studios and multiple classes available to the public. Wednesday’s host life model drawing sessions for $3 (with your student ID) or $5 without.

Looking for a free option? “The Arts Center” hosts the event “2nd Saturday Art Day” from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m., an event open to everyone for free! They also host “Craft Night at the Corvallis Library” every third Tuesday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., free for everyone 16 and over. The upcoming second Saturday event will be held on November 10.

“These are more opportunities to connect with the community,” Executive Director of “The Arts Center,” Cynthia Spencer-Hadlock said. “[We are] just really trying to give people the opportunity to be creative with other people, friends and family.”

“The Arts Center” has started a brand-new program this year dubbed the “Arts Accelerator Program.” There are four artists-in-residence who use the basement of the building as a studio space, gaining knowledge and valuable experience with guidance from “The Arts Center.”

“Studio space is so difficult to find in this town,” Spencer-Hadlock exclaimed.  “We wanted to, with this Accelerator [Program], really help them have space, but then also give them opportunities to interact with a lot more with the artist community and learn from each other.”

If you want to show support to “The Arts Center,” there are plenty of volunteer opportunities. You can choose a wide array of options from their form on the website, theartscenter.net.

“The Arts Center” is just one of many galleries in the Corvallis community. Art in the Valley is an art gallery located on Second Street. They include a variety of mediums, from glassblowing to watercolors. They host an “Artist of the Month” and showcase the new artist on the “Corvallis Arts Walk.”  They are open Tuesday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Other galleries that are available throughout the week or during the Corvallis Arts Walk are located at corvallisartswalk.com.

For a more accessible option for students, “The Craft Center,” located in the Student Experience Center, is available to all students. However, if you want to get off-campus and participate in the arts, there are plenty of places to explore! Don’t be afraid to step out and participate in an event around Corvallis.