OSU’s 20th Annual Salmon Bake

OSU’s 20th Salmon Bake

Megan Anderson

Calling all salmon lovers who also enjoy free food and learning about new cultures! This Friday, May 18th, at 12:00pm-3:00pm the Native American Longhouse Eena Haws is hosting their annual Salmon Bake for the 20th consecutive year.

The salmon will be cooked open pit, Pacific Northwest style, along with a few side dishes. The line will start at the back entrance of NAL Eena Haws at noon. 

In addition to eating delicious salmon, students will have the privilege to learn more about the treaty rights and fishing rights in the Pacific Northwest, along with getting to work with some of the local tribes and tribal fishers.

Luhui Whitebear, Assistant Director of NAL Eena Haws, remarks, “this is an opportunity for the campus community to learn more about the importance of salmon to the region as well as about treaty rights and salmon conservation efforts. This event brings both on and off campus communities together.”

Building community is a key aspect of an inclusive environment, therefore, it is also important to come to the Salmon Bake to show your support for the indigenous students here at OSU.

“While not all indigenous students on campus are from this region, supporting and maintaining these rights are important to all sovereign nations,” Whitebear said.

Take a study break and treat yourself to some authentically cooked salmon, all while supporting our fellow indigenous students, specifically those from the Pacific Northwest. Supplies are limited, so make sure to stop by and enjoy some salmon before it’s all gone!