Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

Join in celebrating Earth Day 2024 with OSU events

Morgan Berryman
Kayleana Green picks flowers in her backyard in Corvallis Oregon on April 11

Earth Day 2024 will be celebrated starting April 20 in a variety of ways at Oregon State University. The Community Engagement and Leadership organization has many opportunities for students to learn about sustainability.

CEL will be holding its annual Saturday of Service and the Beyond Earth Day community fair. 

“(For Saturday of Service) we partner with organizations within the community and we bring students from OSU out into the community to do service projects with nonprofits,” said Josiah Liebert, an event specialist at CEL. 

Saturday of Service will take place on April 20. A couple of things that participants can expect to do is an invasive species removal, help with creek regeneration and making animal face masks to be used at the Planet Palooza event, taking place on that same day. 

These activities will be partially on-campus and partially off-campus within the Corvallis community. Transportation, a light breakfast, snacks and a hot lunch will be provided for volunteers. 

The Beyond Earth Day Community Fair will be taking place on April 23rd in the Memorial Union Horizon room from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

“We’re going to have roughly 30 to 35 booths from campus partners, as well as off campus partners,” Liebert said. “They’re all going to have some booth that’s related to how their work applies to sustainability and they’ll all have some sort of interactive activity at their booth.”

Liebert said that some booths will even be giving out bike helmets to help encourage people to take their bikes more. There will also be trivia surrounding sustainability. 

Anyone is welcome to stop by the community fair, but registration is required for Saturday of Service, with registration closing April 19. Students, faculty, and anyone in the Corvallis community who is interested in these events can register and look over details at this link.