Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

Student on the street: Students share last-minute Halloween costuming tips

Morgan Barnaby
Exploratory program student Orianna Campbell discusses her plan to dress as a Siren-Mermaid for Halloween on OSU campus in Corvallis on Oct. 24, 2023.

With Halloween right around the corner, many students at Oregon State University have found their costumes and have advice to share on finding your own costume.

Orianna Campbell, a student in the exploratory studies program, is going as a siren-mermaid. 

“Pinterest,” Campbell said when asked where she got the idea. “Look at Pinterest . . . There’s a lot of creative people on there.”

Second-year Psychology major Chloe Choice (she/her) discusses her plans for two different Halloween costumes, Dr. Doofenschmirtz and Jane from Breaking Bad, in Corvallis on Oct. 24, 2023. (Morgan Barnaby)

Chloe Choice, a second-year psychology major, has two costumes planned: Jane from Breaking Bad, and Dr. Doofenschmirtz from Phineas and Ferb. Her boyfriend suggested Jane, and as for Dr. Doofenschmirtz, Choice said  “We were watching so much Phineas and Ferb and it just came to me.”

As for tips for costuming on a budget, “Thrift stores are a really great resource,” Choice said. “People tend to have more items than they think that would work well for Halloween costumes. It’s just all about thinking outside the box and looking at very basic items they have and simple things they could add to that.”

Third-year psychology major Lucienne Dale speaks on the group costume she plans to be a part of as the Pink Chipette from Alvin and the Chipmunks in Corvallis on Oct. 24, 2023. (Morgan Barnaby)

Some students are doing group costumes. Lucienne Dale, a third-year psychology major, is going as a Pink Chipette from Alvin and the Chipmunks; with her is Ethan Quesada, a second-year biohealth sciences major who will be going as Simon. Their group has six people total and Alvin and the Chipmunks was a good fit for that number of people.

Second year biohealth sciences major Ethan Quesada speaks on his plan to dress as Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks with his friend for Halloween in Corvallis on Oct. 24, 2023. (Morgan Barnaby)

“We’ve made our own little tails and ears,” Dale said. The group got the supplies for the costumes from JoAnn Fabrics and Ross. 

When asked about tips for costuming on a budget, Quesada advised, “Look for any 80s movie, and choose any of them. Because they didn’t have much of a wardrobe then, and so you could just find your favorite 80s movie and pretend to be them.” 

First-year environmental sciences major Niko Cobbs speaks about his last minute idea to be a traffic cone for Halloween in Corvallis on Oct. 24, 2023. (Morgan Barnaby)

Niko Cobbs, a first-year environmental sciences major, is going with a last-minute costume idea: a traffic cone. 

He found a bright orange shirt on Amazon that said: “I’m a traffic cone.” Originally he wanted to be Pitbull, but he left his bald cap at home.

“I just searched up costumes on Amazon that could be shipped quickly and it showed up,” Cobbs said. 

Cobbs said he will try to find some orange pants to go with the shirt and complete the look. 

Second-year accounting major Haylie Martin discusses her plan to dress up for Halloween as the Queen of Hearts in Corvallis, Oct. 24, 2023. (Morgan Barnaby)

Haylie Martin, a second-year accounting and finance major, is going to be the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.

For putting together a cheap and easy costume, she suggested looking in your closet and building your costume around a piece you want to wear. 

“And always ask your friends to see if they have stuff,” Martin said.

Second-year English major Emile Harris talks about her and her boyfriend’s costume plan in Corvallis, Oct. 24, 2023. The two of them planned costumes as a cowgirl and cowboy pair. (Morgan Barnaby)

Emile Harris, a second-year English major with a writing minor, is going as a cowgirl-cowboy pair with her boyfriend. 

She’s borrowing a pair of cowboy boots from a friend, and she and her boyfriend are planning on going to Goodwill to find a shirt so they can cut off the sleeves.

“Don’t be afraid to go to thrift stores,” Harris said. “Get creative.”