Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

OSU to host a series of events dedicated to Black History Month

%28left+to+right%29+OSU+faculty+Micknai+Arefaine%2C+Elizabeth+Kaweesa%2C+Shelley+Moon%2C+Jason+Thomas%2C+Jamar+Bean%2C+Dorian+Smith+were+recognized+for+their+outstanding+work+in+helping+the+Black+community+and+the+BCC+at+the+Black+Excellence+Celebration+event+hosted+in+2018+for+Black+History+Month.+
Logan Howell, OMN Photographer
(left to right) OSU faculty Micknai Arefaine, Elizabeth Kaweesa, Shelley Moon, Jason Thomas, Jamar Bean, Dorian Smith were recognized for their outstanding work in helping the Black community and the BCC at the Black Excellence Celebration event hosted in 2018 for Black History Month.

Since 1976, February has been designated as Black History Month, as “an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing their central role in United States history,” according to History’s website.  

Oregon State University is hosting a series of events this month dedicated to Black individuals, while prioritizing Black OSU students. 

This Saturday, OSU is hosting their “Fourth Annual Black Liberation in Higher Education Teach-In: Queering Blackness” event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., consisting of morning and afternoon workshops exploring a range of topics from Black asexuality to Black women and chronic illness. 

The workshops will host a variety of guest speakers, and the entirety of the full-day event will be held at the Student Experience Center in the main lobby. 

On Feb. 7, the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center is collaborating with Community Engagement and Leadership to host a community dialogue event, “Black And…”. The event will be held at the Memorial Union in the Horizon Room from 4 to 6 p.m. 

The event will host an opportunity for Black students to talk amongst each other, providing “a space for connection, a place to navigate and process our unique journeys as Black students at Oregon State University,” according to event description. 

According to the event page, community dialogues are essential for deep learning about critical and contentious issues and acknowledging “the diverse spectrum of identities within the Black community, including gender, sexuality, class, religion, national origin, ability and many more.” 

OSU will raise awareness about HIV within the Black community on National Black HIV Awareness Day on Feb. 13. The event will host educational sessions, workshops and presentations to inform attendees about HIV transmission, prevention methods and the latest advancements in treatment. 

The event will be hosted in the LBHBCC in the Gathering Hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and feature Nikia Braxton-Franklin, who works with Student Health Services and specializes in alcohol and drug prevention. 

On Feb. 22 from 5 to 7 p.m., the “Power of Color” event will be held at the MU in the Horizon Room. This provides another chance for students to engage in community dialogue and explore “the concepts of how colorism has a global impact on many communities, understanding our relationships with colorism and anti-Blackness and how these concepts influence our own perspectives of ourselves and others,” according to the event description. 

The discussion will be open to both students and faculty, where one can hope “to leave this event gaining a deeper understanding around colorism.” 

For more information, visit events.oregonstate.edu.