Oregon State University's student-run lifestyle magazine

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Beaver's Digest

Latest issue

OSU student recommendations for recipes to try before fall term begins

Grace Johnson, OMN Photographer
Basic ingredients used to make easy recipes, on Aug. 14. Cooking easy recipes at home is a great way to save money by not buying food from restaurants.

Come fall term, very little time and energy will go into making meals, especially baking. Classes will be back in full swing, fall jobs and internships begin and midterm season will be arriving earlier than expected. 

With that on the horizon, summer may be the last time to try more complex recipes. Below are some favorites of Oregon State University students, and other recipes to try out. 

Cowboy cookies

See recipe below

Aira McDaniel, a second-year, chemical engineer major, enjoys making ‘Cowboy cookies’ in her free time. 

“I grew up making (them),” McDaniel said. “I remember my grandmother and I would make these together in her kitchen.”

The recipe, a simple cookie recipe with some country flare, takes just a few minutes to make. 

“A tradition we had every time we baked these cookies is we would each eat a spoonful of the dough before we would put the cookies on the tray,” said McDaniel. “As soon as they came out of the oven, we would each eat a warm cookie together.”

Szechuan chicken

See recipe below

A second-year graphic design honors student, Rebecca Harmonson, fondly remembers holiday gatherings making Szechuan Chicken with her family in California.

“My nana first found this recipe from a Frugal Gourmet recipe, but we’ve changed it over time to what our family likes the best,” Harmonson said.

The Szechuan Chicken is full of flavor, some spice, and is best served with jasmine rice.

“I like this recipe because it is something my mom and I would make growing up for big family events… it’s easy to make, everyone likes it and it makes great leftovers,” Harmonson said. “We’d often double or triple the recipe to feed everyone!”

Banana bread

For something sweet, and to use ingredients in your house already, banana bread can be a good summer staple to try out. Simply Recipes has an easy recipe to use up those old bananas. Add nuts or chocolate to add a little more to the recipe as well. 

Mango salsa

If you’re looking for something to bring to a potluck fire or something to eat as a quick snack, salsa is a good staple. This recipe from Cookie and Kate is a mango salsa. It’s a refreshing snack, good on tacos and chips.

Chocolate cupcakes

For something on the fancier side, cupcakes usually do the trick. These chocolate cupcakes are moist, topped with chocolate buttercream, and easy to make. These cupcakes, from Sally’s Baking Addiction, are perfect for birthdays, picnics, or any other event. 

Cowboy cookies

Ingredients:

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick of Crisco at room temperature
  • 2 sticks of butter at room temperature
  • 1½ cups granulated sugar
  • 1½ cups packed light-brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray the cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butters and sugars. Beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides, reduce speed to medium-low and blend in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
  3. With the mixer on low speed, blend in the flour mixture until just combined. Use a large wooden spoon to stir in oats and chocolate chips.
  4. Use your hands or a cookie scoop to create a ball of dough (approximately three tablespoons per cookie) and place it onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing about two inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies are set and edges are beginning to turn golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on a baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Szechuan chicken

Ingredients:

Marinade

• 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Sauce

• 4 tablespoons dry sherry
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon MSG (accent)
  • 4 teaspoon Brown Sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons  Water / Chicken Broth
  • 2 tablespoons  cornstarch

Cooking

• Peanut Oil
  • Dried Chili Peppers

Instructions:

Marinate bite-sized pieces of chicken in marinade. To make the sauce, mix cornstarch and soy sauce then add remaining ingredients. Heat dried chili peppers in peanut oil. Once oil is warm, remove peppers and fry chicken. Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, add sauce, stirring constantly until thickened. Served best over jasmine rice. Use peanuts and green onion as a topping.